After waiting on traffic to clear a little and eating dinner in the hospital cafeteria, Travis was told there was a chance a different pair of lungs could come to him. They wouldn't know anything until after midnight Tuesday night. Em and Travis went to stay at Em's grandparents' house in North Charleston and headed home today. Someone else received those lungs last night. please pray for them and both donor families.
Please continue to pray for the perfect lungs for Travis!
We have officially been listed for 4 weeks today! It has been the slowest and most anxious month of our lives, with each of us tied to the phone, and wondering if the call will come. But we are grateful for the extra time as a family.
The month has been full. Travis has decided the “Pay it Forward” and raise money and participate in various local charity walks. He has put 2 different teams together, one for the Miracle Mile Walk and one for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s #walk2endalz. As long as he is able, he will continue to do this, so join a team or let us know if you have an event and we will participate!
We had the monthly check-up last Friday, and all was the same. The doctor did inform us that they had a couple offers (matches) for Travis, but one set of lungs was too small and the other was not in good shape. So as strange as that sounds, it is a little reassuring, that there are at least matches for him, given the blood type, size and his antibodies.
He has had a little cold, and while on the active transplant list we have to let the doctors know as soon as he has even a sniffle. They swab his nose and test for 16 different viruses, 8 of which will require inactivation on the list, at least temporarily. If they were to transplant him with one of these viruses it could cause rejection immediately, and death. No playing around!
So, he currently has rhinovirus, the common cold, but the past couple days his symptoms are worsening. We are hoping it is nothing new, but waiting on the doctors to decide the proper action. Most likely they will be having us see the pulmonologist here to swab his nose and check everything out. His breathing has definitely been worse the last 2-3 days. We will keep you all posted, and please pray that the deactivation lasts only a short time if it happens.
On another note, it looks like we will be having some insurance changes coming in January, and we are waiting to see how this will affect the surgery. Our doctor feels that Travis should be transplanted prior to this, so we are hoping! But the medicine coverage will definitely affect us, and our cost will be significant for all the medications he will be on post-transplant. We appreciate continued prayers for this area too!
Thank you all for your continuous love, prayers, support and encouragement. Once again, we would not be able to get through this struggle without your support! Thank you and God bless you. You are each in our prayers!
Oct 10, 2017
If you want to order a #TransplantforTravis t-shirt or other item see this link!