During the COVID-19 pandemic, #GivingTuesdayNow emerged as a new global giving day with a simple purpose: to provide support and relief to important nonprofit causes across the country and around the world. Thanks to the generosity of Help Hope Live communities, the first-ever #GivingTuesdayNow on May 5, 2020 was a huge success. Take a look!
$23,913 raised in 24 hours on #GivingTuesdayNow
$19,140 donated at helphopelive.org
(173% increase from the previous day!)
$4,773 raised through 11 Facebook Fundraisers
(including $1,258 donated on Facebook to support our COVID-19 Relief Fund!)
We want to give a special shout-out to the generous individuals who donated to our COVID-19 Relief Fund, including several donors who were personally impacted by our mission and were inspired to give back. Donors like you are helping our nonprofit overcome significant challenges during this pandemic so that no family ever has to face a medical crisis alone.
With new stressors and disrupted plans across communities, many Help Hope Live clients and team members wondered if the COVID-19 pandemic meant that fundraising for medical costs was out of the question. #GivingTuesdayNow is a small confirmation of a big truth: it is NEVER the wrong time to ask for community support.
What to Do Now
If you received community support of any kind on May 5, your first step should be to thank your supporters.
You can record a short video or go live on social media to share your heartfelt thanks; plan an email explaining the true impact of community donations and encouragement; send personal notes or texts to supporters; or find other creative ways to say “thanks”—online or off.
No matter how you plan to do it, do it now! Donors are far more likely to continue supporting a cause when they feel acknowledged and appreciated. Don’t forget that you can access a list of contributors through your Help Hope Live Dashboard under My Supporters.
Ask your Help Hope Live Client Services Coordinator for ways to engage supporters who may not have additional dollars to give but could help out in other ways, such as by planning a virtual fundraiser or posting regular messages on social media to help rally additional support.
With #GivingTuesdayNow behind us, we want you to keep working with your Client Services Coordinator to establish thoughtful and authentic ways to connect with your supporters throughout the rest of the year.
Here are five easy starting points:
1. If you didn’t get a chance to create a Fund a Need fundraiser in time for #GivingTuesdayNow, why not create one now? Show your community exactly how fundraising impacts your daily life and long-term plans.
2. Did you send out any emails during #GivingTuesdayNow? While your community is engaged, consider creating a biweekly or monthly email blast that provides medical updates, personal insights, gratitude, and donation reminders. A thank-you email is a great starting point!
3. Did you start a Facebook Fundraiser? If Facebook played a role in your #GivingTuesdayNow success, jot down a few notes and ideas for how to make your next Facebook Fundraiser even more impactful. Plan to launch a new Facebook Fundraiser in conjunction with a special event (such as a birthday or anniversary) for extra engagement. You can even ask friends to launch their own Facebook Fundraisers on the same day for maximum impact!
4. Did you see any interesting social media posts on #GivingTuesdayNow? Whether a live video or an unusual message caught your eye, use it as inspiration for your own social media strategy. Keep in mind that our team is always here to provide additional social media tips and support.
5. What do you wish you had done differently? If you got involved in #GivingTuesdayNow a little later than you would have liked, think about some of the strategies you may want to try when the world’s biggest day of giving, the original #GivingTuesday, arrives on December 1, 2020. You have plenty of time to plan a fundraiser, assemble a team, start a social media strategy, and put together the vision that will result in your best #GivingTuesday ever. Start planning now!
Take advantage of all the virtual fundraising resources at your disposal, lean on your Coordinator for one-on-one support, and keep the good going!