On July 4, 2015, Megan sustained a spinal cord injury at the C6/C7 level. She can move her arms, but her hands are weak and her legs are paralyzed.
Megan spent 2.5 months in the hospital for intensive rehabilitation and now continues with outpatient physical and occupational therapy. She has begun to return to work at the University of Michigan Prosthetics and Orthotics Clinic, and will soon be driving with hand controls. With the support of her husband Steven, family, and friends, she continues to work toward her goal of being independent.
January 18, 2017
Hello friends and family! Thank you for your incredible generosity. This I year used the funds for 2 important items that were denied by insurance after multiple appeals:
1) $7500 to pay off the balance for the standing function on my power wheelchair. I use the standing function most days to stretch out, put weight through my legs, and work out spasms.
2) $20,000 to purchase a functional electrical stimulation bike for home. I have been using the bike once a week through a drop-in program at U of M, but it is only available from 12:30-2:00, which was getting harder to work in with my work and PT schedule. It’s a hefty price tag and I’m committed to using it to prevent muscle atrophy and manage spasticity.
Spinal cord injuries are expensive, and I wouldn’t have access to these wonderful therapeutic modalities if it wasn’t for your support. Thank you so much.
June 23, 2016
On June 18, 2016, Roger and Susan Christ hosted a Spanferkel – traditional German pig roast – as a fundraiser and thank you for all of the support following my injury. It was such a great gathering, bringing together family & friends & meeting new people – a huge network of love and support!
Thank you all for your generous contributions toward these items that will aid my recovery. I am just so grateful for your support and encouragement.
Thank you to all who came out on that beautiful afternoon, and to the local contributions that made the event a so special!
– Polyface Farms Heritage Grass Fed Hogs
– Live music from Vienna’s own “Falling Home”
– Cold beer from Vienna’s own Caboose Brewery
– Lovely flowers from Friendly Hall Farm
– Homemade custom quilt by Darlene Christ
– Chicken from Beirut Cafe
– Homemade sausage, cheese, German potato salad, and coleslaw
To our hosts Roger and Susan Christ, the MC Stewart Christ, to relatives that came from our of town, to neighbors & friends I never met, and everyone who volunteered time and effort: this was truly a special event, thank you so much!
Photo Galleries (2)
October 22, 2016
So good to see you at the LeBlanc wedding bash. How kind of you to make the trip. Hope you had fun. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers.
June 29, 2016
I am sorry I was unable to attend the Spanferkel, sounds like grand time was had by all. I will be sending a donation. Regards,
Marilyn A. Farrell