My name is Danielle Mauldin and I am 25 years old. In the summer of 2019, I began studies at the University of West Florida to obtain a second bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences. With a major in biology and a minor in chemistry, this second degree would have allowed me to become an accredited medical laboratory scientist in Florida. But in May of 2019, I visited the ER for the third night in a row and was given 24 hours to live.
I suffered a blood clot in one of the veins that brings blood away from my small intestines, an extremely rare case in my young age of a mesenteric ischemia. On May 20th, two surgeons attempted to salvage what remained of my small intestines, but we were told there was nothing else they could do and that the infection was too far spread.
September 10, 2019
September 6th: We received a call from our transplant team stating that my case had been presented to the board and that after evaluation I have been APPROVED for a small bowel transplant! The evaluation process consisted of multiple CTs, MRIs, echos, mammograms, etc. Now we must wait on approval from the national transplant network as well as from our insurance. The next step is to be actively listed!
September 3rd: I go in for my second bronchoscopy. When I come out and awake from the anesthesia, I’m told more dilations were unnecessary as my trachea was wide open! My thoracic surgeon came in as well during the scope and confirmed, adding that surgery would not be necessary if this diameter was kept at this width.
August 22nd: After speaking with our transplant team, we learn that the tracheal stenosis must be dealt with before we move forward with the transplant. Unfortunately, this is another serious surgery due to the closeness in proximity to the vocal cords. For the first 3 days of recovery, my chin would have to be stitched to my chest to ensure the cartilage does not move.
August 8th: I had the bronchoscopy where my doctor dilated my trachea with a balloon and administered steroids through injections. She explained the narrowing of my trachea causing the shortness of breath and wheezing was caused by being intubated so many times in a short time frame. Tracheal stenosis is unfortunately sometimes a side effect of intubation. She referred me to a thoracic surgeon and scheduled another dilation for a month out.
August 7th: I had a pulmonary consult who had me perform a breathing test immediately. He cleared my schedule of appointments for the next day to have me see another attending doctor to have a bronchoscopy performed.
August 1st: I went to the ER after a long day of appointments due to shortness of breath. I was given four breathing treatments and an inhaler, but this did not seem to fix the underlying wheezing.
June 21st: Discharge from the Cleveland Clinic until transplant time! We will be living in the Transplant Housing in Cleveland for the time being.
June 7th: Back into surgery for the removal of a hematoma that occurred post op.
May 30th: I am flown in via winged airline immediately into surgery where my necrotic small intestines and gall bladder are removed during a 6-hour operation.
Photo Galleries (1)
September 29, 2019
Go Danielle! Finish God’s miracle!
September 27, 2019
You’re in our thoughts! Get well soon
September 18, 2019
Praying Daily for you Danielle. I know God has a plan for you.