No results found. Please try modifying your search.

Grateful and Blessed

Hi, my name is Christa Wong. I was 26 years old when I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease. I got a second opinion from a doctor at John Hopkins. The doctor confirmed PKD, and I was told it was hereditary. That meant my son would have the disease as well. Then in 2008 what I thought was a bad case of the flu turned out to be Type 2 Diabetes. My sugar level was 894. That put me in the hospital for a week for them to get my sugar level under control. I had to learn how to live with diabetes in my everyday life. What I can and cannot eat or drink. The hospital had a diabetes educator come to show me how I need to take care of myself in my everyday life having this disease. How to test my sugar before and after I eat. How to draw insulin from the vile and then how and where to inject the needle into my body. In 2015, I have been seeing my Nephrologist for little over two years. She helped me keep the Polycystic Kidney Disease at stage 4 for two years longer than I was told. Then in 2017, I went to see my Nephrologist and she said that she had not so good news. That my PKD was in the beginning of Stage 5. She suggested that my next day off. I should go to the emergency room to let them know that I was there to start my dialysis treatment.
I have to say that I am so grateful that there was dialysis to help filter the impurities in my blood. Because the other alternative is to not be here to see my son graduate with his Bachelor of Science degree or his master’s degree in architecture. My son is the big reason I kept fighting because I was not ready to leave him motherless. I have been working for The Home Depot full-time since my mom passed away. I have been with the company for 29 years and the longest time I have ever taken off was a week here and a there for vacation. Then covid came long and my Nephrologist said I need to take short-term disability through work because I was in the high-risk category of catching covid. I could only leave my house to go to dialysis. Even though I was out on short-term disability. The company that handled my short-term disability through work did not feel that it was a good enough reason to get paid for being out. I was out on leave and not getting paid for it. Then the six months came, and I went back to work for about six weeks.

Photo Galleries (1)

Loading Images