No results found. Please try modifying your search.

Dear Friends, Family and Community,

My brother, Dominic Gallardo is a 46-year-old man who was diagnosed seven years ago with hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a type of pulmonary fibrosis. He is on oxygen full time now and is unable to work and do many everyday things we all take for granted. His doctors at the UCLA Medical Center have told us that his only hope for survival is a life-saving double lung transplant.

Updates (14)

August 29, 2015

Dear family & friends,

It has been a month since I’ve been discharged from the hospital after my bi-lateral lung transplant. Since then, I have been home in Valencia, getting plenty of rest but also doing things in and around the house that will help me get back into the swing of things. Although I am still on disability, I have started looking at getting back into the workforce.

While at home, I perform the duties of Mr. Mom; making sure the kids get up in the morning, get themselves ready for school and prepare their breakfast (sometimes). I’m also the morning carpool driver for them and several neighborhood kids. All of this keeps me active which is what the doctors want to see from me. However, I am still dealing with a poor appetite and my doctors attribute this to the number of meds I’m currently taking. But every day is a little bit better than the previous and I’m optimistic that one day soon, this too will pass and I will start grubbing down for breakfast lunch and dinner…and some snacks in between.

Tests results from my latest visit to the UCLA clinic improved for both my blood work & my pulmonary function test. If fact, my doctors have reduced my medication from 28 different meds to 17. And my lung capacity has improved from 21% to 85%. For so long, I’ve been living with a capacity no greater than 60% and now being above normal capacity (80%) is a blessing and feeling I will do everything in my power to maintain. Having a wonderful support group in my family and friends, and continuing to work on my faith with God, I have no doubt I will achieve this level for many years to come.

Thanks for listening,

July 29, 2015

The natural closing of the hole in my lung did not occur so the doctors tried two different procedures. The first was a plasma procedure that was intended to promote a blood clot and close the hole. This procedure did not work so the next step was to perform a procedure called pleuraldesis. Although this procedure was successful in closing the hole, it did not come without complications.

It got to a point where I had to be placed back into the ICU. Doctors were concerned that I had come down with a condition where toxins in the body create a full-body inflammatory response. I had extreme pain surrounding my lung, a fever, nausea, vomiting and zero appetite.

It took me five days to recover from the pleuraldesis procedure, so much time had gone by since the day of my transplant. But after spending an additional week at UCLA, I am glad to say that I have been discharged after spending one month and a day in the hospital.


September 22, 2015

Dominic, Wishing you all the BEST with your recovery!

Love, The Santiago's

July 29, 2015

Dominic, we are so happy to have you back home. Now, one day at a time. We love you sooo much and we'll get thru this together.

Lesvia, Jake and Vanessa

July 3, 2015

God bless, Domi-G

Nick Osmena

June 26, 2015

Dominic - we have been praying for you and your family and know all will work out for you. All the best buddy!

The Victorio Family