No results found. Please try modifying your search.

GREAT NEWS! Harold received the gift of life – a new kidney and pancreas – on October 21, 2015 He is doing well and is recovering at home. Keep checking back for updates.

As you may already know, I have been diagnosed with a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy, an autoimmune disease that attacks the kidneys. My physician found something wrong with my kidneys shortly after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (juvenile diabetes) in 2006. This disease has been slowly deteriorating my kidneys for many years, but I was asymptomatic until 2014. At this point, I only have 7 percent kidney function and my doctors have told me that I need a kidney transplant in order to survive.

Updates (4)

October 29, 2015

On Wednesday 10/21/15, we received a call at 6:20AM from UW-Madison that we missed!! Thankfully, we were up and bout less than 20 mins after that initial call and were on the phone with the Transplant Coordinator seconds after we realized who just called.
They have a donor…and gave us only 3 hours to get to the hospital!! We arrived shortly before 10AM and we were escorted to that familiar unit. As soon as we arrived, the team kicked into high gear getting Harold prepped. Several members of his surgical team came up to speak with us and told us the organs were in house and they were going to start looking over each one to ensure they were A+. As we waited, I was telling Harold how the drive up felt so surreal. There were certain areas on the drive up that I did not recall seeing but when I saw them it was if a bright light was shining on these areas. Maybe it was just the change of seasons? I look back now and know it was God shining his rays to tell me, this was it…I still get chills.
7:00PM – Dr walks in (wearing scrubs = good sign) and the hairs on my body start to stand. He’s asking Harold how he feels, checking his belly – getting an overall feel and he tells us the organs look great. They are one of the best they’ve ever seen. Are you ready? The tears start to fall. He says, prep will start in the next 2-5 hours. 7:30PM we were already in the OR waiting room! 8:56PM, first incision was made and by 2:03AM on 10/22/15 they were closing him up and would be up in his room within 2 hours. 2:32 AM Attending met with me, mom, dad and Hazel to give us the good news. Everything looks good, organs kicked into high gear immediately. 3:33AM Harold is back in his room, groggy but alert and so happy to see his parents and sister had made it to greet him on his P/K day!! Recovery in hospital was literally 7 days. We’re home now and he’s recovering well. His spirits are high and he is now saying he feels like a new man. He has a mission to pay it forward – possibly part of a support group and/or be a mentor? There is no limit now!
He has a new lease on life and will be on meds for the rest of his life. We are so thankful for your ongoing support. We are forever grateful…

September 17, 2015

We’ve just about reached our 2nd goal. Thank you so much to all of you who have donated thus far!! Harold and I are forever grateful…


November 5, 2015

Praying for speedy recovery. God Bless

Joan Ong and family

October 28, 2015

Hello Harold and Althea, We are so happy that the double organ transplant was successful. We will continue to remember you in our prayers and that you health will be fully restored.

Tita Baby & Tito Eddie

October 27, 2015

Sending prayers and hugs!

Deborah Webster

October 23, 2015

Hello Kuya, I hope you get well soon. Jr and Jackie.

Jr. Santiago